My client for this project was a mobility startup that offers scooters and bikes through a mobile app. They are available in over 100 cities around the world, and they started on Facebook with ambitious goals to grow fast, advertise in 8 different languages, and expand to new markets.
The company’s main challenges were hyperlocalization and profitable growth: they wanted to scale their user acquisition profitably and still localize their services in each market. The plan was to launch and scale more advertising channels while expanding to new markets.
I was chosen for this project because of my growth approach that's data-driven and considers profitability in making decisions. Also, I have a background in software engineering, which helps me to understand how algorithms work behind the scenes. After the first call, we quickly aligned on where we should focus and the opportunities that we can leverage to expand.
This project is one of the most complex growth projects in my portfolio.
We wanted to grow fast, advertise in 8 different languages, and keep hyperlocalized messaging. The initial plan was to expand to new markets and launch new advertising channels profitably, so we started by auditing and restructuring all ad accounts.
This step was very important to build the fundamentals that would help us scale fast, it helped us discover the pain points, and made sure we were focusing our efforts in the right places. We created a naming convention to help everyone in the company understand everything and built a structure that helped us localize our messages.
It also helped to bring all team members on the same page because we had ambitious goals and different members from the company and from outside the company were working on different parts of the process.
After the iOS 14 changes, marketers no longer had access to the data they had relied on before. These changes resulted in the creative testing process being considered one of the main reasons for success.
We established a hyperlocalized creative testing framework to test and find winning creatives in different languages and different markets. This step helped all stakeholders understand how to work together to achieve our ultimate goal and grow fast. It helped us define the expectations of every team member and establish a scalable, systematic process.
We defined the main elements we needed to test, including the messages and the media type. We also defined the documentation process to help all the members understand where to easily find what they needed to do their part.
After structuring the ad accounts and defining the creative testing process, it was time to establish a data analysis framework. We needed to understand and report the results of our campaigns while breaking down our data into individual markets and for different languages.
We started using the naming convention that we created in Step 1 and leveraging the creative testing framework we created in Step 2 to decide on the most important KPIs. We broke down our data into individual markets and languages to answer all needed questions.
This step helped us set the base to be able to dive deeper into individual markets, which later helped us identify the pain points and leverage growth opportunities. We created a very complex data stack from a data warehouse to data visualization and a custom attribution model, then built a bunch of dashboards for every part of the process to be able to effectively leverage this data in making optimization decisions.
In step 4, it was time to test and scale. We tested different creative messages, audiences, and campaign structures. We built a user acquisition funnel that touched the user in multiple areas across the whole user journey, from engagement to acquisition to retargeting.
Eventually, we were able to unlock the true power of localization and to expand to new markets steadily by launching paid social ads in new cities and putting the right messaging in front of the local users. We also profitably scaled ad spend on existing paid social channels with this high level of ad personalization.
The previous step helped us understand our audience, identify what makes them convert, and personalize our messages.
In this step, we started hunting for new advertising channels and networks where we could find users similar to the most active users of our app. We analyzed public data from social channels like TikTok, Twitter, Snapchat, and programmatic ad networks to forecast our expected performance and understand which channel was the right channel for us, both from an audience and a cost perspective.
We found a couple of channels that had potential based on our initial forecasts. We started testing them and soon enough we were able to expand to new channels and open up new streams of user acquisition.
~297% Increase in new user acquisition, 5x increase in ad spend – profitably –, launched 2 new paid social and paid search channels, and expanded to a couple of new markets including the UK, France, and some cities across Germany.
From building the strategy, coordination, execution, and onboarding new team members, I was able to sustainably and systematically manage the process and prove that every brand has its own goals and needs its own unique strategy to achieve them - in this case, we were ably to achieve growth through hyperlocalization. An approach like this would work particularly well for brands in Mobility and Fintech, including banking and investing businesses with >100,000 in monthly budget.