My client for this project was an intelligent information management platform. They help companies make smart connections across their businesses by automating critical business processes.
When this project took place, the company had just decided to scale up and optimize their marketing efforts. They had no model for lead generation and no clear understanding of their demand funnel, and although they made use of the Salesforce CRM, they only had a rickety CMS that controlled their website.
I was hired as a consultant for this project because they needed someone to build their demand generation function. They had 38 employees within the marketing department, but nobody to handle demand generation, so I mostly worked alone.
I have a background in demand generation and technology and I have built up my niche expertise by working for organizations like this. I help to define a businesses’ marketing strategies, covering everything from paid search, to social media, and retargeting.
I always kick off my projects by interviewing everybody involved in sales and marketing, in parallel with a database assessment. These interviews helped me to really understand the company’s processes and how the different departments related to each other.
From the marketing side, I learned about the company’s KPIs and what their goals were. I wanted to understand all of these nuances so I could go in and fix everything and stop any finger-pointing between departments.
The next step was a database assessment, to see how healthy everything was looking. This involved looking at who had been disqualified or rejected so that I could decide who could be recycled back into the marketing process.
By understanding the processes they had in place, I could define what the lead model should look like. Whenever I do this sort of assessment, I look at a company's leads and contacts to assess how everything is being managed.
Next, I spent some time working on the company’s buyer personas. The company had two buyer personas that weren’t very well thought out, so I set about trying to understand their ideal customer profile in order to improve things. I always want to ensure that any leads that come through are high quality and a good fit.
I looked at their current customer base and identified which consumers were ideal, and what attributes made them ideal. To do this I looked at revenue, employee size, region, products, and each specific pain point.
Step four was about identifying what happened to any potential leads. This meant defining the entire lead model from beginning to end, as well as looking at retention rates. At the time, the company counted almost anybody as a potential lead, which was the wrong way to go about it.
We needed to define what actually happened when marketing sent over a lead or someone reached out and indicated they were interested in us.
The attribution model I created at this stage included all the touchpoints associated with influencing an opportunity.
This is when we created the go-to-market strategy. We completely rebuilt the company’s website and set about identifying which were the best channels for them to drive demand.
I also introduced a lot of new technology at this stage to improve the company’s setup. The company only had Marketo and Salesforce, so I brought in Uberflip for their content marketing, as well as 6sense and Madison logic for their ABM initiatives. I also added Wistia for their video repository, Visible to build out their attribution model, SEMrush for their SEM platform, and Drift for their chatbot. All this new technology became part of the go-to-market strategy and helped them to reach their goals.
Next, I worked with the content and product marketing teams to understand their content process, as well as the strategy behind that process.
By the end of 2020, the company’s marketing was responsible for $47 million dollars of the pipeline. I am particularly proud of this because the pandemic was not an easy time for the company, but it turned out to be one of their best years ever.
I attribute that success to their marketing team, but also to the systems I put in place. Everyone in the company regardless of office location, either hit their pipeline goals for 2020 or came very close.
I was responsible for launching their first account-based marketing campaign across one sector. Initially, they had only wanted to trial this new approach, but within a few months, it had resulted in $8 million of revenue.
One of my greatest achievements was using a partner technology company to help shift the company to an MQA business model (instead of an MQL model). This entailed changing their entire sales process from lead selling to account-based selling — adjusting their focus so that they looked at all the behaviors of everybody within an account, not just whoever they thought the qualified lead was.